9/9/15

Nerf War After-Action Thoughts

Well, I never thought it would happen, but man, I was wrong.
What pray tell? STONO V.

I thought that the logistical errors had killed it, but it turned out to be almost as indestructible as the Bermuda grass that has taken over my lawn.

More after the big drop.
In addition to showing how a group of dedicated friends (read: nakama) can accomplish most anything, this war acted as a proving ground for numerous stock and modded blasters, as well as a few game-types.


Due to timing problems, neither my Rapidstrike nor my Stryfe were operational, so I purchased a Demolisher 2-in-1 the night before the war broke out; I had no time to mod it, so I came in not expecting it to do well. Man, was I surprised!

It fires like a Stryfe, but without the bloody dart tooth! The #1 mod done to Stryfes, already done to this Stryfe? Brilliant!
 
The HAMP grenade launcher? You can't get direct hits with it, but with a little practice, you can land the boom package within a couple meters of somebody, and you know what they say: Close counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and Missouri-class battleships.
However, it is accurate enough to plop the grenade into a coffee can at 2 meters, so go figure.
I used it at first in a mock-M4 configuration, with an M4 Recon barrel, Element scope, and Raider stock, but that proved to be quite cumbersome.


Eventually, I discovered the optimal configuration for the Demolisher, at least for me: Raider stock (shortest setting) and maybe a bandolier.


Correction: two bandoliers. One to hold the gun and mags, and the other stuffed with grenades like the Terminator.

Shove in a Raider drum, and you're nigh on unstoppable! In fact, this was useful for a game-mode that was created at the war.


And now, a few words from one of our corporate sponsors.

That brings us to the first modded blaster evaluation for the war, the RoughCut 2x4.
More specifically, the green ZombieStrike RoughCut 2x4.
What did I do to this? I just stuck two of deez in there. OMW 7+ kg springs.

It functioned just like a regular RoughCut, but with better ranges per projectile.
In other words, I increased my effective range to maybe 10 m. Not a lot, but plenty for a shotgun.

Modded EAT.
Spring upgraded, AR removed, locks removed. Honestly, basic stuff that I shouldn't have to mention.
Performance: Whadya expect? It's a modded EAT.

Modded Strongarms (Link to mod guide)
Mod description in the link. My specialty.
Performance: OK, but with the added awesomeness of being able to rear-load darts. Feel cool, get kills, look awesome.

Blitzkrieg:
Recon, but its guts got torn out, pounded apart with a hammer, and glued back together with adamantium.
Performance: Fires like a modded Longshot: Elite+ ranges. Honestly, I don't know what black magic Ageless Dash did to it but it shamed NIX122's Retaliator.


Game modes:
Defend the Core.

OK, but not very fun with only 8-10 people.


3-15
Vanilla - OK, but got dull. Good thing we only did it once.

Shotguns only - Now that was fun!
Rules: Shotgun blasters only.
Note: If you are using a break-action shotgun (Barrelbreak or Sledgefire) you get to also use a single-shot springer pistol.

I pwned in that round, with at least 50% of the kills, at least 15, mostly due to my playing style. I ran around and came up behind people and shot them from behind with my Roughcut. I got a few long-range kills, but not many.


Juggernaut
Sorta like the video game type.
The Juggernaut has 5 hit points, and gets the Demolisher. Demolisher rockets have a 2 m AOE (Area Of Effect).
When hit, you spawn in off your teammates.
Only kills as Juggernaut count for score.

All in all, this was a fun war!

I got more people than I expected
9 people = good times.

Hmm, I wonder what would happen if I turned my Demolisher's grinade launcher into a HAMP?

Peace!
Maniacal Coyote
Nothin' Foam
nothingfoam.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment